WHAT'S IN A NAME?
The official name is the Republic of Singapore. However it's nickname is the Lion City. Singapore was named Singapura in the 14th century, which means Lion City in Sanskrit. "The Garden City" is another nickname for Singapore because of its tropical flora, parks, and gardens due to the nations greening policy. A third famous nickname for Singapore is the Little Red dot. This is because the nation emerges on many maps as a red dot. Singapore only has a total land area of no more than 713.3 square kilometers, hence the red dot.
Singapore lies in South East Asia, 137 km north of the equator, at the southern tip of peninsular Malaysia. Consequently, Indonesia’s Riau Islands lie to the south of Singapore.
MUST SEES IN THE CITY OF SINGAPORE:
- The marina bay, of which Marina Bay Sands complex is the focal point, has the world's highest 495-foot rooftop pool which is truly magnificent.
- Also, there is a spectacular light show, which illuminates the water as well as several icon landmarks. One of which is the Merlion statute in which a fish and lion are merged, depicting the Singapura Lion and at the same time representing the humble descent of Singapore as a fisherman's village.
- Furthermore, there is the impressive concert hall that is shaped like a durian fruit and an astonishing art science museum that looks like a split banana.
- In addition to great architecture buildings, the Gardens by the Bay are simply magnificent. It is a huge, colorful, futuristic park, with famous Supertree structures that offer an impressive skywalk over the gardens that are shaped vertically.
- Clarke Quay and Boat Quay are the go to place for some of the city’s most picturesque eating and drinking spots on the riverside. There are bars, restaurants, boutique shops and pumping nightclubs.
- Formula 1:KF1 Karting circuit at Kranji. Singapore hosts the first Formula One night race in the world. The event lasts 3 days. The Grand Prix itself takes place on a circuit that goes through the heart of the city. Therefore, the rooftop bars especially offer a stunning view on the race.
OTHER PLACES OF INTEREST:
- There are impressive theme and waterparks on the mainland and there are
- the impressive zoo and bird park as well. Do not miss the special night safari.
- Sentosa Island offers sandy beaches, beach and yacht clubs, adventure parks, golf, shopping and is therefore the perfect place for some leisure time. Conveniently, the island is reachable by bridge, either by car or mrt from mainland Singapore.
Singapore is a very clean nation due to it’s strict laws about littering and graffiti. The public transport is very well organized and both the public transport, streets and public sanitary are immaculate. Crime rates are extremely low.
Have a look here for more information on what to see and do while in Singapore.
Check our empty flights to Singpore or Explore more destinations
FLY TO SINGAPORE
WHAT TO DO
WHERE TO STAY
Marina Mandarin Singapore